08 Sep There’s more to organic than just better food
We know that eating organic foods means safer food that hasn’t been treated with pesticides or dipped in hot wax to preserve it. But it is not often that we consider the larger benefits of organic food production.First, a refresher, let’s understand what organic really is.
The word “organic” refers to the way farmers grow and process agricultural products, such as fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy products and meat. Farmers who grow organic produce and meat don’t use conventional methods to fertilize, control weeds or prevent livestock disease. For example, rather than using chemical weedkillers, organic farmers are supposed to conduct more sophisticated crop rotations and spread mulch or manure to keep weeds at bay.
Many times we forget that there are more benefits to organic farming then improving what we put in our bodies. I personally believe that organic food is more nutritious. Have you eaten a non organic apple or orange from the large chain grocery stores lately? The taste or lack of taste should be a clear indicator that something is off. Recently I ate an orange that comes from a local organic CSA and with a sigh of relief I now have regained hope that the amazing tang of a good orange hasn’t been lost.
So health and flavor is a great bonus, but the next reason is also greatly important…
Organic farming practices are designed to encourage soil and water conservation and reduce pollution. That’s a pretty big statement. So it looks like eating organic may be another way you can make a difference in the world. To insure that you are getting the healthiest organic food possible always do your best to purchase your produce from local organic farms or businesses that source local organic foods.
If cost causes you to hesitate when buying organic food, here is a list for the most essential organic foods that you should allows spend the extra money on:
- Apples (more pesticides are found on apples then any other fruit or veggie)
- Cucumbers (They are the 12th most contaminated food!!)
- Strawberries (Also on the top of the list for being highly contaminated)
- Grapes (Did you know that non organic farmers can spray up to 17 different types of chemicals to keep them from decease and bugs?)
- Butter and Milk (The toxic chemicals in the grain the cows eat, transfers to the milk along with the growth hormones and antibiotics they are given)
- Spinach (Chemicals farmers use to treat spinach can cause cancer and interfere with your body’s hormone production)
Rest assured that you’ll be eating healthy local organic foods at Lean and Green Cafe. Not only are you doing something good for your body, but you can feel good about improving the world we live in by making smart decisions like supporting organic!